Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Delectable Party Appetizers: Bacon Wrapped Chorizo Stuffed Dates!

Chorizo Stuffed Dates Wrapped in Bacon


With the Holidays fast approaching I decided to go ahead and host a small cocktail / dinner party at my home in the country here in Georgia. With quite a few influential people attending I wanted to create a smorgasbord of tasty appetizers and desserts.  So I went for the 3 S's- Sweet, Spicy, and Smokey. I also wanted something on a toothpick so that the consumers of the appetizer could easily eat while holding a drink all the while retaining clean fingers. After perusing Foodgawker I spotted Andrea's Chorizo Stuffed Dates Wrapped in Bacon- 3 ingredients that matched my criteria and all on a toothpick. 

This appetizer comes together very quickly once you prepare each ingredient. Slice the bacon in thirds, remove the casings from about 3 chorizo, and using a scissors, cut one side of each pitted date open so that you may stuff them. I am sure that any sausage will do, but be sure that it is spicy. Although my chorizo had an excellent flavor, it could have been a bit hotter. So know your brand of sausage first.


These were excellent little bites with big flavor. I was really surprised how sweet the dates came through once they were caramelized. I will be making this again and would love to try it with andouille sausage as well.


Chorizo Stuffed Dates Wrapped in Bacon
10 ounces pitted dates
1 pound bacon, sliced in thirds
about 6 ounces chorizo, raw, casings removed

Using a scissors, cut one side of each date open and stuff with a scant teaspoon of chorizo. Wrap the stuffed date with bacon and secure with a toothpick. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake in 400 degree oven for about 15-18 minutes. Watch closely as the bottoms can burn easily due to the natural sugars in the dates. Makes about 45 pieces. Which i intend on serving with a spicy marinara sauce.
This should make a hit at my party. Try it out for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
FREE Shipping over $49 on ALL Orders!banner banner