Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tuesday Edibles: A healthy WAY to start your DAY

Oh, hello.
I’m actually a bit relieved that the title of this post didn’t keep you from visiting. I thought about changing it to “dessert for breakfast”. I mean, if you’re like me, it’s not that far from the truth. Just try not to be intimidated by all the green.
Now that I think about it, the only time I buy kale is when I make these chips. Delicious, yes, but I needed another way to get more greens into my diet. LOL......as if i needed it!..... Seriously, no wonder we get along so well. This has my name written all over it. I could have this every single day and sometimes I do.
So, I love strawberries and almonds, but I can’t eat them. Every food allergy test says I can’t eat them either. However, I still try, hoping that I’ve “outgrown” the discomfort that it causes – if that’s even possible, but no. If you’re okay with strawberries, go for it, they will give it a sweet & silky consistency. Or you can try a bananna for a smoother texture!  If you want to try something else, go with from mango chunks.
I’ve made this at least 4 times this week, I now crave it. When I make a big batch, I store in a mason jar and keep in the fridge so I can enjoy throughout the day. I wouldn’t recommend keeping for more then 48 hours, which I’m sure you won’t have to worry about after you take a sip.
*Note: This recipe is Gluten-free and Dairy-free

Spinach Kale + Pear Smoothie
{Recipe adapted from Joy the Baker}
Ingredients
  • 1 cup spinach leaves, packed
  • 1 cup chopped kale leaves, packed – I like dino kale, it’s not as bitter
  • 1/2 pear
  • 1 cup frozen mango chunks OR 1 frozen banana
  • 1 1/2 cups cold almond milk – I like the unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon honey
Directions
Depending on type of Kale, remove the leaves from the center stalk – Chop (or tear) the kale.  In a blender, combine kale, spinach and milk.  Blend until no big kale bits remain.  Add your mango OR banana, pear  and pear.  Blend until smooth. You may also add a few ice cubes to make it thicker.


ENJOY YOUR DAY!!....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
FREE Shipping over $49 on ALL Orders!banner banner