Breakfast QUINOA + Cinnamon & Berries = Healthy Morning
My bowl of comfort, right here.
Recently, it seems that Fall has arrived here in Georgia, but only from the hours of 9pm-10am, otherwise, it’s still summer. I’m not complaining, but I am ready to break out crockpot, buy some pumpkin and start prepping for the holidays. Who’s with me?.....Just kidding. So i was playing on the internet one morning and I found this recipe on another blog and i tried it and absolutely LOVE IT!!
I’ve been enjoying a big bowl of this warm breakfast quinoa with cinnamon, fresh picked blackberries [story below], toasted walnuts and then topped with shredded coconut. How does that not scream amazingness?! One of the many reasons I love quinoa is because it’s so versatile and works well with a wide range of ingredients. It’s also a [gluten-free] grain that can be enjoyed for either, breakfast, lunch, dinner OR dessert!
Breakfast Quinoa with Cinnamon and Fresh Berries
[Adapted by 101 Cookbooks]
- 1 cup [vanilla] almond milk – or any type milk you prefer (maybe coconut milk)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup original quinoa
- 1/4 cup red quinoa – or total of 1 cup original
- 2 cups fresh blackberries – or blueberries, raspberries, etc.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3 teaspoons agave nectar – if avoiding sugar, you can substitute for stevia
- 2-3 tablespoons shredded coconut
In a medium saucepan, combine milk, water, salt and [original and red] quinoa – bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover for 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit [covered] for about 5 minutes. Add cinnamon and carefully mix in the blackberries. Top with walnuts and drizzle with agave nectar.